22 Jul 2009

Truth or Reality

Today's topic for discussion during lunch was a reality show called 'Sach ka samna'. It is, from what I heard, a desi replica of the American 'The moment of truth' where (once) famous celebrities are invited, are put through a veracity test, and asked infinitely obnoxious questions about their life. They 'earn' money for every correct (truthful) answer they give... which is obviously verified by a lie detector. The suspense behind every question to be asked 'after the break' and the TRP of the show increase in direct proportion with the money at stake.

The question that crops up immediately to my mind is....why in Gods beautiful earth would anyone endure the humiliation?

Fun?... couldn't be

To get revenge on their nearest and dearest?... probably not

Money?... possibly

Fame?... perhaps

Hopes of a possible comeback from obscurity?... hmmmm... but like this? seriously?

Having watched, hated and made fun of the infamous 'WWF' since childhood, I have an idea as to how things might work behind the curtain, and have developed a rather critical attitude towards anything that is projected on the small screen. So, there can be only two possibilities to explain this one.

1. It is indeed a 'Reality' show and the questions being asked are as new to the scapegoat as to any one of the viewers.... In this case, I must admit the guts needed to face any question asked in front of an infinite number of strangers, answer either the truth and face it's repercussions later or lie and get caught... I think it's this question 'does he/she have the guts?' that keeps the audience rooted to their chairs. But what keeps the candidate rooted to his/her chair?... Invisible chains? Force field? Permanent glue?

2. It is a standard scripted 'Un-Reality show' and the questions and answers are as new to the guest celebrity as the celebrity is to anyone of us... Here, it's gotta be the money ... or fame. And I would like to put the lie detector through a veracity test. :)

It's all such a drama! superficial, flashy, no substance, brainless, gibberish! Whatever happened to quality entertainment? Almost everything on the idiot box is either cheap comedy, or mind and soul-less suspense, or the lachrymose tragedy.. tragedy.. tragedy. Most of the time spent in watching the TV is in browsing channels.
why does entertainment have to be such a waste of time?

Now, a few days ago, my sister, while browsing channels came across the 'Rakhi ka swayamvar'.. another rancid serial.

Interruption...

1. They want to marry Rakhi.... repeat.. Marry?? repeat RAKHI????? : God save them!

2. Rakhi wants to get married??? :D:D:D

3. And people actually watch it?? ::...

So, like I was saying, sissy came across the show, and would not let us change the channel. So we obliged and pledged to watch it with her and make sure not a single dialogue goes un-commented. We survived half and one episodes of the drama, but the picture tube of our Television could not take it anymore and blew itself up. :D


Unnaturally rebellious,

Madhura.

4 comments:

Mihir K said...

true!

RJ said...

Hey Madhz..
As usual ..you are a refined version of your opinionated self...in a good way of course :). I must tell you that there are some really good shows on telly...dunno if they air it in India. One such show is Numbers...I am the nerd in you will be titillated and the optimist in you will be satiated [ as good wins over bad...with there is always a corpse or two :(]...Keep blogging...

Madhura said...

@RJ havent heard of Numbers. And I'm not against reality shows.. there used to be one called crystal maze which i was a fan of. I'm just against these few sad ones. Good to know there are still a few good ones. :)

Ashish Sarode said...

I think these shows could be of great use if they invite all Lok sabha members to this show with condition that questions will be given by public :D.
I did not see sach-ka-samna, but politicians show will be worth watching.

Swayamvar on tv is really bogus idea, I admire daring of people who took risk to go to Rakhi's swayamvar.