24 Oct 2011

How Sandy saved Diwali


It's Saturday morning, I put my laundry in the washer, come back home and am looking for my Diwali decorations. I glance at the can in which I had put all my stuff when I moved, and then left at my friend's place for a couple of weeks, and which I had retrieved two days ago... and behold! it's empty!
Possibilities that flash through my mind:
a. I sleep walked and kept all of it away in the closet.
b. My husband, who was here for the weekend, full of enthusiasm, sorted the stuff and put it away.
c. My roommate stowed it away.
d. A thief stole it.
I check the closets, nothing. Kaustubh dos NOT sort stuff, and my roommate is very much-non-nosy. Confused and wondering why the alarm did not go off when the thief stole all my art stuff which was stowed away in a trash can, I ask Sandy (my roomie) if she knows where the stuff is..
"Hey, did you put away the stuff I got back from my friend a couple of days ago?"
"Yeah, I did.."
"Oh cool, where is it?"
"Where?... outside in the bigger trashcan...."
"What???"
"I, um...  threw out the trash!"
"That wasn't trash!. It was all my art stuff!..
"OMG! why was your art stuff in a trash can??". 
"When did you throw it out??"
"About 40 minutes ago"... So I look out the window, towards the common trash cans, ... to look if it's there... which, in hindsight was really silly. I could not have possibly gained anything from looking at it... 
"Seriously, why would you put art stuff in a trashcan??"
"It was a lot of stuff, the can was empty and i was out of boxes... girl, why would I keep trash at my friend's place for 2 weeks??"
.. and so the histerical 'Oh my god's  and 'i thought it was trash' continued, while we went out to look if the bag was still there!
"Oh" there it is" and it sat right on the top of the almost-empty but much bigger trash can outside.
We could not reach it, but the dear girl climbed on it and fished it out!!!! 
And there we were, standing beside the cans, sorting stuff from the art-bag, which was, surprisingly, very clean. 
And that's the story of how Sandy saved Diwali.

4 comments:

Mukta said...

Funny!!! Hahaha.....so wht did u learn from this episode dear?

Madhura said...

Um... Always label stuff i throw away??

Shama said...

hehehe! Too good!!! very well written :P but now do you doubt your 'art' ;) hihiiiihihiii

Amruta said...

haha and I was thinking how would sandy save diwali from Houston :P
good one though!!