6 Jun 2012

Life is awesome!

I am taking a class about micro sensors this quarter, and along with pressure and force and temperature sensors, I have also had a chance to learn a little about DNA sensors. We talked about extraction and sensing DNA base pairs. When I even think about DNA and biological cells as a structure of chemicals, I cannot but think how such a complex structure could have possibly come into being by coincidence! How can chance have resulted in the human brain, the most complex biological structure known to us, which is capable of 'imagination' and is capable of thinking about itself! I mean, come on! it's essentially a combination of 6 elements!

We talked about photosynthesis in plants, and how it's actually quantum physics at play. No other process has yet been found to combine the energy of two photons and reduce carbon dioxide to form hydrocarbons, and yet all green plants do it. Does that make plants smarter than us?.. well, yes, they have, after all adopted a 'greener' lifestyle before we even thought of growing them. How can such a complex life cycle exist on a relatively tiny orb spinning around a star on the outskirts of an isolated galaxy.

As always, when I think about atoms and planets at the same time, I cannot but wonder about the similarities between them. Both, electrons and planets revolve around a nucleus, both have a spin, and a magnetic field and both are negatively charged. Could earth simply be an 'electron' of a 'molecular solar system' spinning away with the drop of the galactic liquid. What if one day the drop falls down in the 'universal puddle'? Does our Eco-system begin and end and begin again every time some universal car drives through the puddle and sprays the galaxy onto a poor passer-by?

And is it possible that some electrons have life on them? Can there be tiny 'electronians' typing away on their tiny 'electrotops' about the evolution of life on their electron? Won't they be surprised when it jumps out of it's orbit! (: 

No comments: